School Sexual Abuse Cases: Why Careful Monitoring of Our Children’s Phones and Electronic Devices Is Important.
We see it all the time in newspapers: a teacher has carried out an inappropriate relationship with an underage student.
Unfortunately, sexual abuse by teachers happen all too often in Indianapolis and the surrounding areas:
- Ben Davis teacher had sex with student 22 times
- Indiana officials investigate video involving sexual abuse of high school student as sex extortion
- Harrison County, Indiana teacher accused of sexual relationship with student
- Child abuse case under investigation at Hammond school
- Indiana had dozens of teacher sexual misconduct cases in 5 years
Far too often, parents find out about the inappropriate relationship too late. And, far too often, parents discover evidence of the inappropriate relationship in the victim’s phone or electronic device.
In today’s fast-paced lifestyle, it’s easy to be distanced and unaware by the ever-growing fear of our children being sexually abused. Here are a few tips we have for protecting our children from sexual abuse and assault:
- Periodically review of your child’s electronic device to ensure that no sexual predator is having contact with your child.
- Choose caregivers and babysitters carefully by using qualified and screened individuals
- Create a safe environment where you child knows they can talk to you about it and they won’t get into trouble
- Get to know the people in your child’s life so they know they can talk to you openly about them
Sexual abuse cases can arise…
- when there is inadequate supervision of teachers by administrators,
- improper investigation of a teacher’s background prior to hiring,
- failure on the part of school officials to intervene in suspicious circumstances as a result of improper contact between students.
Schools have duties to act as parents of students while students are on school grounds. Failing to supervise students adequate can cause or contribute to a student being sexually abused by another.
If, heaven forbid, you discover an inappropriate relationship, call Rob King & Associates RIGHT NOW at (317) 916-0000.
Rob King & Associates have experience in handling sexual abuse of children by teachers either within school, or outside of school.
We have successfully represented victims in claims against schools for student on student rape; teacher sexual misconduct; and improper supervision leading to inappropriate sexual contact. Call us today if you have questions about a sexual misconduct incident at your school.